Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sugarbush 2012

We finally made it!  We attempted treking through the sludge of last year's maple syrup festival in Salem, but the mud was just too deep to even park.  This year, I picked a sunny, dry day that was practically wind-free.  It was a beautiful day!

Before I show all my pretty iPod pics that are ever-so grainy, let me say I never thought I'd go to a "maple syrup festival."  Seriously?  I was a city girl from Arizona, so what on earth is a maple syrup festival?  Do we sit around, admiring the leaves and gorgeous amber bottles?  (Actually, that is part of it, but only part...)


S enjoyed the tomahawk throwing, and nailed it all three times.  Knife throwing?  Not as good quite so fast, but he does pick up dangerous weaponry sports quickly (wonder what he could do with a lance?). 

It took forever to get Lovely to even look at my camera with the monstrosity that was on her face.  Child's plate of waffle w/ strawberry, syrup, chocolate chips, and whipped cream, plus a drink?  $3.50.  Unless you're 5 or under; then it's free :) 


This was my dessert:
There were plenty of vendors to explore and demonstration stands set-up.  The smoke was getting to Snugglebug's eyes, though:



A giant stack of hay bales awaited the children, begging to be built into tunnels and forts...The children answered the call. 

And last but not least.  Snugglebug's maple cotton candy 'stache.  Oh-so-stylish, and a downright hoot!

In the end, we bought a few bottles of syrup, two bags of cotton candy (so yummy without the overly sweet aftertaste of regular cotton candy), a jar of maple sugar, two bags of maple candy:  peanut and almond, two jars of local honey, and a jar of yummy pizza sauce (not maple, of course).  My dinner was good, but I recommend getting there before 2 p.m. because I bought the very last chicken dinner.  They ran out of beans after my plate as well, and they were already out of rolls and ice-cream dessert.  There are only port-a-potties to use, but for the life of me, I'm not sure I want to know how they got them smelling like maple syrup, too .  

This is a definite find that I hope to do again.  The Sugarbush festival will resume for it's final weekend next weekend, so get out and try it if you have some time!  It's awesome family fun with lots of kids' activities (including a covered wagon ride that my girls loved). 

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! I was looking at the date recently for this...perhaps we'll go to the next one at the beginning of March.

    ReplyDelete

I'm listenin'--and your comments are sooo appreciated!