Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gestational Diabetes

I was told today that I didn't have to take the dreaded 3 hr glucose test because I had failed the 1 hr so miserably.  I was immediately recommended for sugar testing and education (not sure exactly what that means, but I'm sure I don't have time...).  I decided to do my own research and looked up the effects and treatment, which in all honestly, I never thought would be so scary.  Then the comments from people who had stillbirths didn't help.  I know God is in control, but human emotion is ever present.  (As if anyone couldn't tell from my last post.)

I guess this is just the icing on the cake since I've been dealing with insurance companies, a collection agency that insists I owe a bill that is covered by my insurance, my four jobs, and all the house stuff.  I'm finally feeling overwhelmed enough that, although I've never been a quitter, I feel like I need to stop doing one of my jobs.  I subbed today for 1/2 a day, and it really wasn't bad. But then I went to my 70 minute tutoring session with a student who just refused to hear me.  That stressed me.  I had told her mother I would continue to tutor her this semester, but I'm wondering how worth it it really is--and if it's worth jeopardizing health over it.  I'll be in prayer.

I looked at the diet for GD and I just don't know what to do. Other than cutting out soft drinks completely, I don't know what to eat.  I don't have time to make meals (which is a problem, I know), but there are so few things I eat as it is.  I don't drink milk except in cereal, both of which I've been told to cut out.  I don't eat cookies, cakes, chips, or candy.  I have a little ice cream about once every 1-2 weeks.  I like bread, but it's usually whole wheat for a sandwich.  I don't eat much pasta because tomato sauce gives me heartburn and I don't want the fat of alfredo.  Honestly, I've only gained about 10.5 lbs so far and I only have about 10 weeks to go.   I'm afraid a dietician is only going to tell me I'm allowed this many carbs and this much fat, etc.  I don't count that kind of stuff--it's like I have a brain block. I need actual menus. 

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should begin charting what you're eating and when....if you're not already. Also try eating small but more frequent meals through the day. This will help the blood sugar to stay consistent instead of skyrocketing...it will also help with energy levels. As I recall the other day you said you had barely eaten for lunch but a few french fries....just a reminder. That is not good for maintaining your blood sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is pretty much common knowledge. My issue is finding something I can eat in the first place. From the food you're not supposed to eat much of (or at all) during pregnancy, plus the food that makes you sick, to the food you shouldn't have as a GD, what is left? Another issue--I'm guessing a lot of it involves cooking, and with my schedule and energy level, I need quick and easy options.

      And I had only eaten those few french fries because I had already eaten something else at 10:40 and so I was anticipating getting something to eat right after class--when the auto accident occurred. Being in class from 11-12:15, tutoring till 1, and then being in class from 2:45-4 creates a hectic schedule for eating!

      Delete
  2. Keep a small notepad in your purse. That way you can have it at hands reach and easily write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lettuce .....lots of lettuce! lol

    ReplyDelete

I'm listenin'--and your comments are sooo appreciated!