Sunday, January 13, 2013

Diet While Nursing

S asked me this morning why we always have a grumpy baby while everyone else has happy babies.  I know it seems that way sometimes, I mean, who can forget waking up to screaming, waking up to more screaming, and waking up to even more screaming?  And yet we need to remember a baby's digestive system is just learning to get the swing of things, it takes time, and most likely, other people have grumpy babies as well! 

The pediatrician suggested I stay away from dairy, such as milk and cheese.  Now, milk is OK (I stayed away from it mostly while pregnant because milk has simple sugars that spike blood sugar quickly and is therefore a good remedy for blood sugar lows).  But cheese.  Cheese was what I looked forward to while pregnant, my only enjoyment while on the diabetic diet.  Yet, I've worked on keeping intake to a minimum. 

However, my nursing diet doesn't stop at dairy.  I also need to remember to shy away from gassy foods, such as onions and broccoli.  While I hate chunks of onion, I do find they're added to most anything for flavor.  Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies.  Ughh!

And in addition to the above restrictions, I'm limiting caffeine (I stick to Sprite or Ginger Ale if I go for soft drink), but chocolate!  Oh, I've grown fond of chocolate after going without it for so many months while pregnant.  And garlic/spicy foods?  They're out, too.  What's left?  I'm really starting to question it.   

I started this post because I was doing a quick meal plan search for this week and had to say no to all recipes cheesy, spicy, or gassy.  My only two options:  chicken soup (minus the onion), and baked chicken.  Hmmmm.  I'm about to visit a store where I can find vegan cheese and buy soy milk...something's better than nothing, right?

Oh, in the world of development:  Little Bit finally grabbed at her carseat toy yesterday morning, so toys are beginning to catch her interest.  And, in the world of irony since I begged for them to be removed from her room for so many months, LB loves to look at the deer heads on the wall...now that's just weird! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listenin'--and your comments are sooo appreciated!