Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Right Choice

Talk about amazing! I was just remarking in my last post my reasons for not wanting to teach where I had been teaching previously. Today I went onto Yahoo and I see an article from the NY Times discussing the amount of money trade schools are raking in, despite the low wages graduates will most likely earn after they finish school! That was one of my main problems with where I taught--students had it in their heads that they were going to go on and get a BA or an MA from another college, not knowing that their degrees wouldn't transfer. To top that, they were taking out huge loans that gave them no option but to keep attending school and finish--or face the $11,000 in debt from a year (or less) of school. Granted, I think employment in this area for the medical field would have more opportunities for these graduates, but I just didn't believe in what these "for profit" schools were teaching.

I have been thinking about designing a writing program for homeschool students for a while now, and I've been praying about it. I have decided to take the plunge and I'm in the process of creating one, using state standards, but making it fun! Hopefully, I can work from home, encouraging students who actually want to learn, or at least value learning. I hope to have a website up this summer....we'll see :D

Meanwhile, on the weight front, I didn't gain anything and I have been following WW pts the past couple days. Yes, I've had at least two recipe flops, according to my darling husband, so I need to find some recipes with a bit more flavor. I have a favorite or two that he likes, but I'm quickly losing out....

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you did the right thing! Doesn't that feel good?!

    I'm not surprised you are planning to write your own writing program....sounds right up your alley! =D

    Keep up the good work on your WW pts. Have you tried their chicken marsala? I remember thinking that was pretty good. Also you could pound chicken breast, dip in egg whites or skim milk and then bread with seasoned bread crumbs....bake in hot oven until browned. Then serve with a marinara sauce over pasta or with veggies to be extra lean...hmmm...I'm getting hungry! lol I think I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I haven't minded the last two recipes I made, but you-know-who wants more flavor. The girls ate up the first recipe, so it was really only him that didn't like it. I have found that I like ground turkey better than ground beef--weird, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I'm listenin'--and your comments are sooo appreciated!